I haven't written as much as I would like so far
I can't tell if it's because I am having too much fun to sit still...or if I really don't have anything to say?
Actually, I think it has more to do with trying to figure out how to put this experience into words. It's like taking a picture of the grand canyon with a disposable camera and trying to explain to everyone how powerful that crack in the earth is.
I spend everyday in a sort of neverending awe that is begining to get on my own nerves. I am not this sensitive human being who stands grinning stupidly in front of churches and city halls. Yet, I find myself repeating phrases like "That is breathtaking" and "Look at how beautiful that is" or the constant, drawn out "Wowwwwwwwwwwww".
Ew.
This trip has turned me into a corny old woman who oohs and ahhs at every detail.
I guess there are worse things.
Okay, I am going to try and sum up what I have been doing, because everything else I attempt to type seems cynical and that is not what I am going for here.
I have class Monday through Friday for at least three hours a day...sometimes six, like tomorrow (sigh). Then I usually go home and take a good two to three hour nap under my GINORMOUS window with the constant 75 degree Tours breeze blowing through. I wake up around seven with plenty of daylight left since the sun doesn't go down until...oh...TEN THIRTY! Then I usually wander around exploring the city and talking to different locals in the market or the shops or just on the street. Around ten I come back, change and go out for drinks at the Place Plume which is the huge town square about a five minute walk from where I am staying. The Place is about the size of any southern town square but the center is empty and no cars drive through so every night it is FULL of students and tourists and every space on the first floor is either a bar or a restaurant or both.
If we don't go to the Place then we go down to the river where they have a beach style bar with a dance floor that is always packed. I usually bring two bottles of wine everywhere we go and sip on the way, sip when I get there and sip on the way back. (I'm on a budget remember).
Wherever it is that I end up is always a great time. The locals are becoming more and more friendly and I am finding a niche within the community that I enjoy. I usually head home sometime around three or four am (thus the nap every afternoon) to smoke a french cigarette out of my window while going over the days activities before crawling back into bed.
Needless to say, I'm a pretty happy girl.
In other news, I am doing well in class...more or less sticking to my budget...didn't get to see Harry Potter today because it was sold out...have a date with a hott French MAN tomorrow night...headed to Belfast on the 1st of August...and haven't been raped, assaulted, robbed or sold into human trafficking yet...Sucess So Far!
Wednesday, July 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment